Monday 3 February 2014

Sexy cardigans, ear hair, smelling like moth balls... you bet your ass I'm kickin it old school styles!



There are a lot of amazing things in this world that would be considered 'old fashioned'. Choosing NOT to wear underwear masquerading as shorts just cos Vogue says it's cool, for one. Eating dinner at 5pm so I have more time to yell and throw empties at kids from my front porch is another. And making a zine is yet a third. I know, I know... we don't need to do this anymore. We have the blogs. Like this one. But blogs are a part of that instant gratification/frustration species and once you've read them you move on. In a few minutes you can experience a plethora of emotions; excitement, joy, disgust, anger, apathy, nausea, arousal... heaps of things. But just as quickly as they came, they disappear. And then you're just as bored as you were before and if you're anything like me, you will then go back to your second favourite way to pass the time at work; playing a game I invented called 'Prank call Dave Coulier until he cries. Call Dave Coulier again and pretend to be John Stamos. Console him and then have phone sex'. Another downside of blogs is that just like this one.... blogs can only do so much with very little equipment. I'm sure that I would be able to create a more interesting and popular blog if I hadn't killed a majority of my brain cells during the great alcohol binge of 2006.... through to 2014. Lay off, okay?! I am self-medicating because I'm still trying to cope with the fact that Spaced will never have a season 3. And cocaine is like... really expensive!! So what's a gal to do? With zines though you get something real, something you have to wait weeks for, something you can hold in your hands and rub up against your face, something that you need to search for if you want to read it again. It's more work but oh so much more fun. 

I know that Zines are considered outdated by a lot of people. Fortunately, the amount of people who DON'T think zines are outdated is almost as much as the amount of zine-haters in this world. And by 'nearly' I of course mean 'not even remotely close even if we didn't count the people with large nostrils because obviously they are not actually real people'. The good news is that even though us Zineophiles are in small supply, we are still present. And we are mostly smiley people who accept criticism the same way we accept free food, with a smile and a single tear rolling delicately down our cheeks. It's pretty adorbs really, you'd find it endearing. But the point here is Zines are getting cool again. As proven by the upcoming Zine fair in Melb-town.... 


It's exciting! it's going to be just lousy with smiley Zinesters and adorable stalls. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a unicorn there, or two because it's a pretty big deal this fair.  AND I may or may not be correct in predicting that someone will be naked there. And by 'someone' I mean 'me'. Juuuuust kidding! I'll wear clothes this time. It's not worth the breezy freedom of going commando if someone gouges their eyes out like the last time. That law suit went on fooooorever! 

I'm especially excited about this year because:
1) I've never been. 
2) Laus will be there
3) I love Melbourne and any excuse to visit is golden
4) I'm unleashing my first every zine. YAY!

I've finally finished putting everything together for the release of my zine called #Potato Face. Which looks a little something like this....




Pretty high class, yeh? Not really. And I'm sure that the title is confusing. To understand it you'll need to get the zine. or ask me over a beer. Which you will buy. And I will drink. Deal? DEAL!


No comments:

Post a Comment